Saturday 14 February 2009

Clean, Play, Eat

It’s Saturday which means it’s my gaming day. I wake up to a messy gloomy room. Me and my girlfriend’s clothes are scattered all over the room from the night before. There’s two empty glasses of wine on my extremely large desk and an empty wine bottle. There are traces of melted wax from last night’s candles. I think I can even see some of the chocolate we ate off each other.

In essence, my desk is a mess, yet it’s supposed to be the central hub for all my digital media. I keep my PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Sony Amplifier and Ipod docking station on my desk as well as my Sony Bravia 40” LCD TV. This is supposed to be my shrine. I have been neglecting the one place where I can sit down and connect to the Internet, watch a film, write a blog or play a game.

I’m a very meticulous person and quiet surprised with myself for letting things get this bad. My girlfriend has already left for work so I get up and start cleaning up our room. I clear all the clothes and remove anything that doesn’t belong on my desk. I get the desk wipes out and polish it clean after dusting it. I vacuum the room and open the windows to air it. Once the room is spotless and my desk is gleaming, I can finally relax.

The thing is, I don’t really feel relaxed if my room is a mess. I find it hard to do anything, whether it’s playing a game, watching a film or doing my homework. My room needs to be clean and my desk organised for me to feel at ease.

Now I can sit down for a gaming session. My Xbox 360 sits to the left of my TV and the PS3 to the right. Beneath my desk I keep my Xbox and PS2. Between all of my consoles I have around 150 games.

What do I play?

It’s still morning time so I’m in the mood for a light, relaxing game. I put on Guitar Hero World Tour on the Xbox 360 and play that for a few hours. No one is home so I turn the 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound right up. The bass is making my insides shake. This is great!

After my fingers and my ear drums get sore I stop playing and go downstairs to the kitchen for some food. It’s just past noon so I make myself a nice and healthy light lunch. I prepare a delicious chicken pasta with plenty of vegetables and a rich tomato sauce. It takes me no more than 20 minutes to make. After enjoying my meal, my carbohydrate levels are up again and I’m ready for some more gaming.

The weather outside has got cloudy and dark so I play a game that reflects this. My choices are usually influenced by my environment. On dark, rainy days I like to play cosy games or watch cosy films. I decide to play Shadow of The Colossus, one of my favourite games of all time. The isolation, soundtrack and dark tones are perfect for a day like this. I play that for around 3 hours then decide to eat some more.

It’s around 15:30 so I make myself a cheese and salad sandwich and go back to my gaming. This time I put on Dark Sector on the Xbox 360 and play that for a few hours. I’m trying to play 3 games that I haven’t finished yet. Dark Sector, Tomb Raider: Underworld and the new Prince of Persia. Once these games have been completed I can focus my attention on other games. I usually prioritise what games I play.

Once I finish a game, I move to the next one. When my games have been completed, I go back and play them again, this time I try to achieve things I didn’t the first play through. These days the developers add more depth to games as well as bonuses which makes the games more replayable and enjoyable. They also include downloadable content which adds longevity to a game such as new levels or costumes.

It’s around 18:00 now so I stop playing and go downstairs to cook for me and my girlfriend for when she gets back. I decide to cook a nice Thai dish. If I have time in between the cooking, I think I will play some Rez on the Xbox 360.

Once my girlfriend gets home and we have finished eating I get my 2nd PS3 controller out and we play some Little Big Planet so that she can unwind and relax. It’s one of the fewest games that she likes to play. I purposely bought that game so that we can play it together. She really enjoys it and is getting better at controlling her character. After a couple of hours of playing LBP we watch a film and then head off to bed. I get the DS and we play an hour of Professor Layton and the Curious Village. She is great at the puzzles and makes me look like an idiot. I’m only good at the visual puzzles whereas she is great with numbers and shapes.

It’s near 01:00am and we are tired and get ready to sleep. Once the lights are out I can’t help but feel that I’ve had a nice productive gaming day. It’s Sunday tomorrow; I think about what I’ll be playing then.

Before I fall asleep I put my Ipod headphones on and listen to the soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus: Roar of the Earth and drift away to that magical land…

No comments:

Post a Comment