Sunday 12 April 2009

The Gamer's Initiation


The other day I was sitting in my room playing on my Xbox 360, thinking about how I got my first ever console. My uncle loved video games and he was the first person who got me into gaming. He started out with a Commodore 64 before getting a Sega Mastersystem then the Megadrive. When I saw his home console, I was bewildered by the graphics, the sound and the way the games worked. I remember the first ever console I owned was a Super Nintendo with Street Fighter II and 2 controllers. My uncle bought it for me second hand from a swap shop in Accrington, Lancashire.

I was 13 years old.

In the 14 years that ensued, I have owned a Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation, Sony Playstation 2, Sony Playstation 3, Xbox and Xbox 360.

Video games are now a huge part of my life. Not only do I play games but I also study them, as well as write about them. Certain people at some point in their lives grow out of playing video games, as did my uncle. For me however, games are an integral part of my life and so I don’t think I will ever grow out of playing them or stop being involved with in some way, shape or form.

Who got you into gaming and what was your first ever console?

No comments:

Post a Comment